Two-Week Construction Look-Ahead (December 5, 2022 – December 16, 2022):
Updated: 3 days ago
· The spillway was completed in late-November and Season 2 construction work has concluded. All spillway concrete placements were completed in Season 2, with the exception of the right approach wall which will be completed in Season 3. With its completion, the spillway is now operational and able to pass flows as needed this winter and next spring. The Contractor will remain on-site through mid-December to finish cleaning, staging, and winterizing the jobsite before demobilizing for the winter.
· Season 3 work is tentatively scheduled to resume in March of 2023 for the final season of this 3-year project. Major tasks scheduled for Season 3 include replacing the intake structure, control gate, and control house, construction of the right approach wall, placement of fill material on the dam crest and abutments, and cleanup and revegetation of the jobsite.
· Releases from the reservoir will be made through the low-level outlet works throughout the winter, which the Town of Breckenridge is controlling to maintain required downstream flows and reservoir levels.
Reservoir Levels and Groundwater Level Monitoring
· The Town of Breckenridge has installed 6 temporary monitoring wells around the reservoir within 350-feet of the reservoir edge to monitor changes in groundwater levels before, during, and after the drawdown periods. A plot showing groundwater elevations in these wells, the reservoir surface elevation, and a map showing the well locations can be found in this website’s “Reservoir and Groundwater Levels” section. Information about projected impacts on residential water wells can be found in this website’s “Private Well Info” section.
· The Town is currently making releases from the reservoir for snowmaking and required in-streams flows, which is causing the reservoir to drop from its previous elevation of 9879.3. Downstream flows will fluctuate based on inflows, maintaining the reservoir level, and required downstream flows and releases for snowmaking. Once snowmaking operations end the reservoir will be refilled to approximate Elevation 9872.0, before the water is then moved downstream and the reservoir lowered in preparation for Season 3 of construction.
· Groundwater levels in some wells that previously fluctuated in response to reservoir drawdown and refilling are not fluctuating as much. The more recent fluctuations in some wells are likely caused by natural groundwater fluctuations rather than reservoir fluctuations.
Reservoir Neighbor Outreach and Assistance
· In the 2021 construction season, when the reservoir was drained down for several months, only one or two neighbors around the reservoir reported potential impacts to their wells. The reservoir has remained at a constant level at about Elevation 9875 since early June 2022 and raised to Elevation 9879 in October 2022. Surrounding residences have reported no issues with the wells during the 2022 construction season to date.
· There was some concern that construction dewatering near the dam’s downstream toe might impact one neighbor at the toe of the dam, and the Town provided a potable water supply should a problem occur, but dewatering has not impacted the neighbor’s well water supply to date.
· If you are located within about 1,000 feet of the reservoir and experience a drop or disruption in your well water supply, you are welcome to contact the Town at 970-453-3170 or email@example.com.