Two-Week Construction Look-Ahead (September 21 – October 5, 2023):
Updated: 4 days ago
· Recent work has been focused on installing electrical conduits and instrumentation for the dam, checking final grades, site restoration, and demobilization.
· The reservoir remains filled to the spillway elevation of 9886.7’ to assist the water treatment plant. All releases are being made through the low-level outlet works and over the new spillway.
· Work over the next two weeks will be focused on finishing the electrical work, starting the SCADA system upgrades, placing surface course on the access roads, site reclamation, and demobilization. The Contractor is planning to complete the Project and be completely demobilized from the jobsite by the end of October 2023.
Reservoir Levels and Groundwater Level Monitoring
· The Town of Breckenridge has installed 6 temporary monitoring wells around the reservoir within 350 feet of the reservoir edge to monitor changes in groundwater levels before, during, and after the drawdown periods. A plot showing groundwater elevations in these wells, the reservoir surface elevation, and a map showing the well locations can be found in this website’s “Reservoir and Groundwater Levels” section. This website’s “Private Well Info” section discusses projected impacts on residential water wells.
· The Town refilled the reservoir while inflows were up and was given permission by Colorado Dam Safety to temporarily store water in the reservoir to the spillway elevation of 9886.7’, until mid-October. The temporary fill is to assist the water treatment plant operations while work is completed at the dam. Downstream flows should generally match inflows while the reservoir is held at Elevation 9886.7’.
Reservoir Neighbor Outreach and Assistance
· The Town has identified neighbors most likely to be affected by the drawdown based on their proximity to the reservoir and the depth of their wells. Letters, flyers, emails, and phone calls went out to those neighbors last season to acquaint them with the Town’s measures to assist them with their water supply if necessary.
· If you are located within about 1,000 feet of the reservoir and experience a drop or disruption in your well water supply, you are welcome to contact the Town at 970-453-3170 or email@example.com.